Monday, April 29, 2013

April 29, Blog Post [Revenge]

April 29, 2013

After Abimelek had governed Israel three years, God stirred up animosity between Abimelek and the citizens of Shechem so that they acted treacherously against Abimelek. GOD DID THIS in order that the crime against Jerub-Baal's seventy sons, the shedding of their blood, might be avenged on their brother Abimelek and on the citizens of Shechem, who had helped him murder his brothers. (Judges 9:22-24)

One of the first reactions that we have upon being wronged by someone (mistreated, verbally abused, cut off in traffic, unwanted, or just plain "rubbed the wrong way") is to retaliate.  It's so easy to say, "Well, I'll show him" or "I'm going to give her a piece of my mind."  After all, isn't it my right to get back at someone who hurts me?  Am I not justified in standing up for myself and showing the one who wronged me how it feels to be treated wrongly?  

As a kid I answered yes to both of these questions.  In school I was the overweight kid that usually hung his head low and tried to stay out of the way of ridicule.  The dozens,  "dissin'" and mama jokes were entertainment for the playground.  It was commonplace for someone to say something offensive to me on a daily basis.  Those words did hurt me, but I quickly developed a quick-wittedness that would win me the laughs of the crowd.  After all, it was all about who could embarrass the other person more.  I routinely hurt people with my words in attempts to defend myself.  The problem was that I didn't really feel any better.  Sometimes my quick-witted responses would earn me a few fights.  We all lost in the end.  No reconciliation – only hard feelings. 

"It is mine to avenge; I will repay." (God the Father, Deut. 32:35)
"Bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you." (Jesus, Lk. 6:28)
"Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse." (Paul, Rom. 12:14)

We don't often think of our words against another person as curses.  However, whatever we speak over someone else that is contrary to what God desires for their life is a curse.  Blessings build up with words of grace while curses tear down and belittle with words charged by hurt or hate.  When we bless, we break the cycle of hurt and we honor God.  In the process, God actually heals our hurts and in His own way deals with the one who hurt us.  

Lord, give me the strength and the mind to honor You by speaking words of blessing over everyone I encounter today!



--
"The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace" (Numbers 6:24-26)
Kenny Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment