Tuesday, April 2, 2013

April 2

Deuteronomy 21-22
Luke 9:51-10:12
Psalm 74
Proverbs 12:11

From Psalm 74:
O God, why have you rejected us forever? (verse 1)

We were given no signs from God;
no prophets are left,
and none of us knows how long this will be. (verse 9)

On Sunday, we celebrated Easter, the day that Jesus arose from the grave, conquering sin and death, giving us everlasting life through Him. No one will ever sacrifice as much as Him did, no one could ever love us as much as He does, and no one can ever take this gift away from us. No matter what our circumstances, there is always a reason to rejoice and celebrate because He lives.

... but how come sometimes I don't feel victorious. Why are there times when I am still afraid, I am still lost, I am hurt and weak and I don't know what to do. There are still times that I feel like God has rejected me. There are still times that I feel like God is not around. There are times that I know Jesus' victory in my head, but I feel defeated in my heart. I can relate to some of the words of Psalm 74 more often than I'd like to admit. 

I was driving home yesterday and I was wrestling with God. There was something what He wanted me to do, but I was fighting Him. I felt weak and incapable and fearful and I didn't know how I was going to move forward. When I got home, I checked the mail and there was a letter from Geoffrey, a 12-year-old Kenyan boy that we sponsor through Compassion International. He told me that he was doing well in school and he asked me to pray for his country's upcoming elections. The part of the letter that struck me was this: "As a family, we are praying that God may increase in you." I looked at the date of the letter and it was February 15. The words of this young boy written 6 weeks ago were exactly the words I needed at that very time on that very day. I had not know what to do in my situation, and the answer was right there in that letter: I needed God to increase in me. The victory of Easter started to come alive in my heart, driving out the fear. With His love and strength, there is nothing I can't do and no reason to be afraid. 

Psalm 74:12 - "But God is my King from long ago; he brings salvation on the earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment