Tuesday, February 5, 2013

February 5

Exodus 21:22-23:13
Matthew 24:1-28
Psalm 29:1-11
Proverbs 7:6-23

The portion of today's readings that comes from Exodus gives regulations that relate to cases of personal injury, protection of property, and social responsibility. One thought that kept coming to mind was that when we commit sin, it always costs something to make it right again. If someone is injured, if an animal is injured, if something is stolen, if something is destroyed, if there is a dispute, if anything besides the Lord is worshipped, if someone is mistreated, if something is wrongfully withheld... These are all cases where sin has been committed against God and/or against another person. God is telling us that there is a cost to be paid. When I look at these sins and penalties, it definitely feels overwhelming. I commit a lot of these sins on a daily basis. How can I possibly afford to pay for all these sins? The answer: I can't. It is impossible for me to pay for all the sin I have committed and will commit in my lifetime. 

This is the reason we all need a Savior. None of us are able to keep all of God's laws 100% of the time. And none of us have the ability to pay the price for our own sin. 1 John 4:9-10 say, "This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins." God knew that we could never live holy perfect lives on our own. Jesus came and paid the price for our sins (the price that we are unable to pay) so that we could have a right relationship with Him. Knowing that I have a Savior who loves me enough to have paid the price for all my sins is definitely good news! Reading God's laws (the laws that I could never possibly keep on my own) makes me thankful for all He has done for me.

"O praise the One who paid my debt and raised this life up from the dead!"

Jesus Paid It All by Kristian Stanfill:
http://youtu.be/brVIlXlJRkQ

No comments:

Post a Comment