Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Exodus 35:10 – 36:28, Matthew 27:32-66, Psalm 34:1 – 10, Proverbs 9:7-8

Exodus 35:10 – 36:28, Matthew 27:32-66, Psalm 34:1 – 10, Proverbs 9:7-8
 
            Last night we were driving to Brooklyn with the Vanderkolks and we all shared stories and experiences about going to concerts in our lives.  We talked about our first concert, bands that we have seen more than once, and then the epic concerts.  In this discussion I definitely laughed at myself and how "uncool" or how "un-mainstream" I grew up.  The bands I talked about very, very few have heard of with the exception of those who grew up with me or my faithful hubby who has endured many of these concerts and playlists.  Part of the discussion revolved around Christian bands and music as I shared how blessed I was to grow up in a time of great Christian bands (I consider them great.) There was a Christian rock band that I liked growing up called "The Kry," and one of their songs usually gets stuck in my head this time of year as we get closer to Easter.  The song is called "Paradise," and captures the scene of Jesus's death and the thief on the cross.  It is more detailed in Luke's account of the crucifixion (which we will read in April,) but the chorus of the song goes, "You will be with me when I…when I'm on the other side…in Paradise." 
 
I was thinking of this song during this passage and how the second thief is remembered for believing in Christ on the cross.  What stood out in this passage is how both of the criminals are grouped together cursing and challenging Jesus on the cross.  Jesus had to endure harsh opposition and slurs from everyone who was at the scene, even the men dying at his sides.  The man who was dying next to him was very guilty of cursing God and unbelief.  Fortunately, I know how the story ends and I know (according to Scripture) that this man did believe that Jesus was the Son of God.  Makes me reflect on GRACE and MERCY.  Even though he didn't deserve Paradise, Jesus later said that he would be saved. 
 
I was also reflecting on the character and dialogue of Jesus on the cross.  This is one of the most miserable, painful ways to die (#KeptThinkingOfPassionOfTheChrist) and Jesus then while he was hanging on that cross, Jesus had to endure all the challenges and mockery.  Jesus was silent.  He did not argue back, he did not jump off that cross, he did not say, "Just you wait,"  nor did he snap his fingers for angels to save him.  He was silent until he asked His Father to forgive the people below, and moments before his death when he cried out to Father, "My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?"  I truly believe this was the greatest pain Christ ever endured during his time on Earth and it's a pain I never want to endure.  Total silence from God the Father.  It wasn't the nails…wasn't the ugliness he heard from the crowd that made Jesus cry.  It was being forsaken from His Father.  But notice that these words were not a complaint, I imagine it being a mournful cry and question (Jesus was sinless…perfect.)
I know that we all have times in our lives where we are distant from God.  We feel that He is not there, that He is not listening or that He is not speaking to us.  There have been times that I have put God on the side or behind me, or left Him in stages of my life.  I do believe that God will be silent at times, but I also believe that He does not leave us.  I was encouraged and challenged by Charles Spurgeon (as I usually am J)  Based on this passage he said, "Often you will find that God deserts you that he may be with you after a nobler sort—hides the light, that afterwards the light of seven suns at once may break in upon your spirit, and there you shall learn that it was for his glory that he left you, for his glory that he tried your faith. Only mind you stand to that. Still cry to him, and still call him God, and never complain, hut ask him why, and pursue his work still under all difficulties; so being like Christ on earth, you shall be like Christ above, as to the answer."   I added the bold for some extra oomph. 
The crucifixion of Christ is the hardest passage to read, meditate on and imagine, but I saw it differently today.  I saw forgiveness, grace, mercy, the power of silence, the emptiness of being forsakes, but everything in my life, everything in creation…everything…points back to the GLORY of God and Him showing us His glory.  Even the hardest, ugliest, quietest times.  Be thankful for those times (eucharisteo) and know that God is Sovereign…he has a plan greater than our minds can handle, and if we love, follow, and obey Him and His commands, (just like Christ,) He will always be there and keep His promises…salvation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment