Tuesday, February 19, 2013

February 19

Leviticus 7:28-9:6
Mark 3:31-4:25
Psalm 37:12-29
Proverbs 10:5

Then he added, "Pay close attention to what you hear. The closer you listen, the more understanding you will be given - and you will receive even more. To those who listen to my teaching, more understanding will be given. But for those who are not listening, even what little understanding they have will be taken from them."
Mark 4:24-25 NLT

This is a common scenario that takes place between me and my husband Travis: I will ask him a question. He will answer it. Then a very short time later, I will have to re-ask the question, because I wasn't listening to his answer. Typically, only a few seconds go by between the time I ask him the question and the time he answers. Yet I still manage to get distracted enough to where I miss everything he says. It has become kind of a joke with us now. I come right out and tell him he needs to repeat himself because I wasn't listening to him! I'm sure he thinks there is something seriously wrong with me to where I can't keep focused for more than a second! 

In today's reading, Jesus was teaching a large crowd by using parables. He also warned them to closely pay attention to what he was teaching, because those who are not listening, will miss some very important truths about life and the Kingdom of Heaven. If you do not understand the teachings of Jesus, it is because you are not listening to His voice. Those who listen will be given more understanding. James 1:5 says, "If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and he will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking." 

I am definitely one who is easily distracted from listening properly. Listening is important to all our relationship, especially our relationship with God. How can we know His will and His direction if we do not ask or do not pay attention to the answer?

Random fact of the day - Today would have been Nicolaus Copernicus' 540th birthday. He was the astronomer who is famous for discovering that the Earth is not the center of the universe. I think it's good for all of us to be reminded from time to time that we are definitely NOT the center of the universe!

No comments:

Post a Comment