Monday, February 18, 2013

February 18, 2013 Blog

February 18, 2013

Leviticus 6:1-7:27
Mark 3:7-30
Psalm 37:1-11
Proverbs 10:3-4

"Trust in the Lord and do good; dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture.  Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart." (Psalm 37:3-4)

Our society follows a rule of life that says, "Follow your heart."  But, it's impossible to follow Christ and follow my heart at the same time.  

My heart says,  "Get more," while Christ says,  "Give more."  
My heart says, "Get even," while Christ says, "Give forgiveness."
My heart says, "Seek happiness," while Christ says, "Seek My Kingdom."

So, it's impossible!  There's no hope for me.  Following Christ means that I have to give everything up, sit around a campfire and sing "Kum-ba-yah" for the rest of my life?

NO…(smh)

The desires for security/safety, love, relationship, good things for my family, joy, purpose/fulfillment, wholeness and freedom all come from God.  He created them in us having already determined how they would be satisfied – by relationship with God through Jesus Christ. 

20-something, driving home from work late with my stomach grumbling, I would sometimes pass by Wendy's or some other fast-food place and be sucked into the drive-thru to get "dinner."  I would eat my meal in the car on the way home and still be hungry – completely unsatisfied.  But, as I got out of my car and opened the door to my mom's house I could smell Heaven – she had cooked dinner!  If I had only waited and trusted that she had already planned to provide for her son I could have had a delicious and satisfying meal for free!  I loved my mom's cooking and I knew that she loved me and loved to cook for me, but my heart lead me to desire things that she hadn't prepared for me – she had better plans that would fill that desire I had in my stomach.

What do you desire that God is not able to give you?

"I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry." (Psalm 40:1)



--
"The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace" (Numbers 6:24-26)
Kenny Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment