Monday, April 16, 2012

From Ruth

What do you fear more God or man?    In today's reading David was able to choose the consequences of his sinful  actions. Famine for 3 yrs, pursued by the sword of his enemies for 3 months, or  the hand of God against the nation for 3 days. David did not want to fall into  the hand of his enemy. His nation just emerged from a famine. So he reasoned, he  chooses what seemed right to him - he took 3 days at the hand of God because he  hoped God would be merciful.   "Fear of man will prove to be a snare but he who trusts in the Lord is kept  safe."  Proverbs 29:25  David seems to have forgotten this truth. God has always protected David's life  from his enemies.  He had to face some difficult trials at the hands of his  enemies and his life was threatened often but God always kept him safe.   Now when faced with enduring his enemies once again he opts to have the abrunt  of God's wrath fall upon the innocent of Israel rather then take the punishment  on his own back. The result was the death of over 70,000 men. The pain David  felt in his heart because of this was more then he would have suffered at the  hands of his enemies. So finally he spoke up and sought the Lord so that the  destruction would end. And just as David had thought God was merciful and  destroyed no more. I think though that David's idea of mercy was no or very  little pain inflicted on the innocent. The choice he seemed to think was right  was so very wrong.  So how does this apply to your life and to my life?  I know that for me I can live in the fear and pain of the past. Sins of my past  that can haunt me. I can fear man. What will they think, how will they treat me?   Man can be cruel and judgmental. But I fear them. If I totally surrender to God  and trust him to work in my life I need not fear man but trust the words of  proverb 29 and know that god will keep me safe.  I need to confess sins not just to God but to those I have hurt, those who, who  with God's strength, can help me find peace from my past and the hope of a  future. I can trust that God is a merciful God.   That is what happened to David. He finally surrendered his sins to the Lord, he  came clean completely and was freed from the guilt and bondage of those sins.  And the result was A heart that could offer unhindered worship to the King of  his life.   If you or someone you know is suffering from the bondage of the past take it to  the Lord, trust that he will keep you safe no matter what life holds and what  man may think. He loves you very much and freedom, true freedom is the sweetest  thing you can possess.  Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment