Tuesday, April 24, 2012

April 24: Psalm 88, 91, 95, 108, 109

For the past couple days we've been reading Psalms of the troubled soul. When David was in distress, he turned to God and poured out his heart. He pleaded to the Lord and acknowledged that He was the only one who could save him. 

I was listening to another David Crowder song last week called I Am a Seed. There is a verse that says: "I can see it won't be long, Till I break free from what I was, Your river of grace flows endlessly, You won't turn Your back on me." I started to think about how God won't turn His back on me. I realized that I fully believed that He would always be there no matter what is happening to me. If I were sick, heartbroken, stressed, lonely, under attack... He would always be there for me, like He was for David. God will always save me in times of trouble. 

Then a question popped into my head: What if I need Him to save me from myself? What if the reason I am troubled is not because of outside circumstances or the sins of other people? What if I need help because of my own sinful nature? Do I fully believe that He would save me from trouble I have caused for myself? I realized that it's easy for me to believe that God would save me from any storm that life could send my way... but it's really difficult for me to believe that He would save me from myself, that He would not turn His back on me because of my own sin. The shame and guilt that I feel when I mess up gets in the way of crying out to Him for help. Then I end up trying to fight a battle that I have no chance of winning on my own.

In Psalm 95, it says: "Come, let us bow down in worship, let us kneel before the Lord our Maker; for He is our God and we are the people of his pasture, the flock under his care." Here is another reference to God being the shepherd and us being His flock. If a sheep under the care of a shepherd is lost, does that shepherd then say, "It's their own fault for getting lost, they are on their own." Absolutely not! The shepherd does everything in his power to bring that lost sheep back home. 

I don't know if any of you struggle with the same thing as me, letting guilt, shame, and pride get in the way of seeking God's saving power. I encourage you to fully believe that He will never turn His back on you. He will never leave you alone in times of need. No matter what.

"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, 'He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.' "   Psalm 91:1-2

I Am a Seed
David Crowder Band
http://youtu.be/UDpkj9Kamqg

No comments:

Post a Comment