Tuesday, April 3, 2012

April 3

1 Samuel 22-24
Psalm 52, 63, 54, 57
 
In today's reading, David was still having a rough time. Not only did Saul still want David dead, but he had resorted to killing those who helped him. Saul discovered that Ahimelech (a priest from the town of Nob) helped David and his men by giving them food, inquiring of the Lord for them, and giving him Goliath's sword. Saul viewed this act as treason and ordered Ahimelech, all 85 priests, and all living people and animals of Nob to be killed. No one was safe from Saul's jealousy, hatred, and anger.
 
How did David respond to having a blood-thirsty, power-hungry king after him? He did the only thing he could do: he cried out to God.
From Psalm 52: "Why do you boast of evil, you mighty man? Why do you boast all day long, you who are a disgrace in the eyes of God?... But I am like an olive tree flourishing in the house of God; I trust in God's unfailing love for ever and ever."
From Psalm 63: "O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water."
From Psalm 54: "Save me, O God, by your name; vindicate me by your might. Hear my prayer, O God; listen to the words of my mouth... Surely God is my help; the Lord is the one who sustains me."
From Psalm 57: "Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me, for I will take refuge in the shadow of your wings until the disaster has passed... Be exalted, O God, above the heavens; let your glory be over all the earth." 
 
When it seems like the whole world is against you, you have no choice but to call out to God. My heart is heavy when I think about the time of prayer from this Sunday morning. There are so many of our brothers and sisters who are sick, hurting, suffering who are crying out to God to have mercy on them. And I'm sure there are just as many who didn't speak up who are suffering as well. I encourage all of you, if you feel like everything is going wrong and things are crashing down all around, do what David did. Cry out to One who loves you, who knows what you're going through, who will give you peace and mercy.
 
Please keep Chad Herzog, Helena Emmelkamp, Heidi Gropp, James Cobb, and Bill Cahill in your prayers. They are among our brothers and sisters who are sick and/or hurting. Pray that in their time of need God will strengthen, sustain, and comfort them.
 
Cry Out To Jesus - Third Day

To everyone who's lost someone they love
Long before it was their time.
You feel like the days you had were not enough
When you said goodbye.
And to all of the people with burdens and pains
Keepin' you back from your life.
You believe that there's nothing
And there is no one who can make it right.

For the marriage that's struggling just to hang on
They lost all of their faith in love.
And they've done all they can to make it right again
Still it's not enough.
For the ones who can't break the addictions and chains
You try to give up but you come back again.
Just remember that you're not alone
In your shame and your suffering.

To the widow who suffers from being alone,
Wipin' the tears from her eyes.
For the children around the world without a home,
Say a prayer tonight.

There is hope for the helpless, rest for the weary,
And love for the broken hearts.
There is grace and forgiveness, mercy and healing
That meets you wherever you are.
Cry out to Jesus. Cry out to Jesus.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment