Friday, April 6, 2012

Friday, April 6, 2012 - David becomes King praising the "King of Kings"

Friday, April 6, 2012
David becomes King praising the "King of Kings"

2 Samuel 2:1-2
"In the course of time, David inquired of the LORD. 'Shall I go up to
one of the towns of Judah?' he asked. The LORD said, 'Go up.' David
asked, 'Where shall I go?' 'To Hebron,' the LORD answered. So David
went up there……"

David had great faith. He allowed his faith in the Lord to guide his
steps in life as demonstrated in the opening verse. Everywhere he
went, he inquired of the Lord. This quality of constant seeking after
the Lord made David Israel's most successful human king. David's trust
in the Lord allowed him as a youth, the ability to kill the giant
Goliath, a veteran warrior. His trust in the Lord afforded him success
in all of his military campaigns while Saul was king over Israel. As
we read about today, David's trust in the Lord gave him patience,
peace, and strength throughout seven years of civil war (following
Saul's death); after which, Israel unified and anointed David king.

As I reflect on today's reading, I can't help but focus on what
happened today 2,012 years ago. Jesus Christ was crucified. Jesus was
rejected, condemned, beaten, spit on, mocked, and hung from a tree for
our sins. He suffered and died in utter humiliation for each and every
one of us. We are all reconciled with God because of Jesus' loving
atoning sacrifice. What has this done for you?

Through Christ's suffering, death, and resurrection, we are forgiven
of our sins. Washed free from guilt and shame. Restored to God's
image. Perfect in His eyes.

We have changed lives. Identity as God's sons and daughters. Patience
in affliction. Purpose in our trials. Courage. Strength from the
All-Powerful. Life, eternal life.

We feel God's unconditional love. His joy that is beyond worldly
happiness. His peace that surpasses human understanding. His kindness,
goodness, faithfulness, and gentleness.

Christ crucified has brought us everything we could ever hope for.
Let's live like David and be men and women after God's heart. David
was an anointed king over Israel, but he still praised the "Anointed
One," the "King of Kings." David was a shepherd over Israel, but he
still praised the "Good Shepherd," the "Lord of Lords." In Psalm 23:1,
David said, "The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing." We have
everything as sheep in the flock of Christ Jesus, the divine shepherd
that laid down His life for you and me.

John 10:14-18
[Jesus said] 14 "I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep
know me— 15 just as the Father knows me and I know the Father—and I
lay down my life for the sheep. 16 I have other sheep that are not of
this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my
voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd. 17 The reason my
Father loves me is that I lay down my life—only to take it up again.
18 No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have
authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This
command I received from my Father."

Hebrews 13:20-21
20 Now may the God of peace, who through the blood of the eternal
covenant brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great
Shepherd of the sheep, 21 equip you with everything good for doing his
will, and may he work in us what is pleasing to him, through Jesus
Christ, to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

God Bless,
Anthony

No comments:

Post a Comment