Friday, October 23, 2020

October 23: Of Soldiers, Athletes, Timothy and My Sons

Jeremiah 42:1-44:23
2 Timothy 2:1-21
Psalms 92:1-93:5
Proverbs 26:3-5

No one serving as a soldier gets entangled in civilian affairs, but rather tries to please his commanding officer.  Similarly, anyone who competes as an athlete does not receive the victor's crown except by competing according to the rules.  - 2 Tim 2:4-5

Our two sons are on a swim team.  To get good, they need hard, focused work, and an understanding of and obedience to the rules.  

On the first of the two requirements, we are amazed at how much work they have to put in.  Pre-covid, they were training up to 18 hours a week, in the pool 9 times, thrice at 5:30 in the morning, and hitting up to 33 miles in seven days.  They've not gotten "entangled" in other sports - yes, they know how to shoot hoops or throw a football, but they've not gone out for those teams. 

For all that hard work, though, if, when they are on the blocks, waiting for the starter's gun, they should flinch…or if they should over-rotate as they flip turn from one lap to the next…they are disqualified.  They don't get to dispute the ruling, they don't get to change the rules, they don't get to claim what they did shouldn't be a disqualifying offense.  Doesn't matter how much they have worked, how far they may have traveled to join the meet - we've driven 9 hours and 600 miles to get to one meet - they compete according to the rules.

In the same way, Paul reminded Timothy of the need for hard, focused work in the service of the Lord - to be of the Lord, unentangled by the ways and cares of the world.  And he reminded Timothy of the need to be obedient to God, seeking not to please himself, but his "Commanding Officer", even when it was difficult, or seemed futile. He reminded Timothy that to arrive at the finish, he had to abide by God's commands.  

I am in awe of my two sons, of the hard work they put in and their strict adherence to the rules of the sport.  I wish I could say I aspired to spending as much of my week with, and in the service of, the Lord as they do in training.  I wish I could say I didn't try and justify myself before God when I sinned, and wanted God to do it my way instead of His.  

Father, thank You for the inspiration of Paul to Timothy, and of the inspiration of people focused on task everywhere.  May we take their example and apply it to our relationship with You, seeking You instead of the world, and obeying You instead of ourselves.  

No comments:

Post a Comment