Saturday, October 17, 2020

October 17: Of the Reason For the Pain God Permits



Jeremiah 30:1-31:26
1 Timothy 2:1-15
Psalm 87:1-7
Proverbs 25:18-19

One of the biggest hurdles to faith has been the question of evil.  Ronald Rhodes, in the book Who Made God?, tells the story of his nephew's death in a car accident, and the question that lingered at the mourning was "Why did something like this have to happen?"  

In the time of the exile, there were likely many Israelites who found themselves in Babylon wondering why conquest had to happen, and why they found themselves far from home . Where was God?  Why did He permit the captivity?  Why the tragedy of an incurable wound, an injury beyond healing, with no remedy, no healing, no allies who care to help?  Three verses arise in response:

  • I have loved you with an everlasting love.
  • I will discipline you but only in due measure; I will not let you go entirely unpunished.
  • So you will be My people, and I will be your God.

Because God loves us, He disciplines us, so that we might once again choose to be His people, so that He can be our God.  If sin did not lead to discomfort, pain and suffering, would we ever want to return?

What then were the Israelites to do while waiting for God's salvation?  What are we to do, in the midst of the pandemic, the growing criminality, the division and worry about the elections?  Again, the Lord, through Jeremiah, is clear.  

  • After I strayed, I repented; after I came to understand, I beat my breast.
  • This is what the Lord says: 'Sing with joy for Jacob; shout for the foremost of the nations.  Make your praises heard, and say, "Lord, save Your people, the remnant of Israel."'

In the midst of the pain He permits to draw me back to Him, I am to repent and to be joyful.  For me, pride makes the first difficult, circumstance the second.  And yet it becomes easier if, rather than focusing on my condition, I choose to focus on His love, His mercy, and His promise.  

Father, when you discipline me to draw me back to You, give me the grace and good sense not to blame You, but instead to search my own heart for the reasons You've had to discipline me.  Help me instead to repent, that I might return to You as You desire. 

No comments:

Post a Comment