Saturday, October 10, 2020

October 10: Of Gratification

Jeremiah 14:11-16:15
1 Thessalonians 2:9-3:13
Psalm 80:1-19
Proverbs 25:1-5

If you're reading this, you probably know I've been writing these reflections for a while.  Every so often (as I did tonight: thank you, you know who you are) I get a note telling me how the reflections have been interesting, amusing, even helpful sometimes.  It feels great. But you know what feels even better?  When one of my kids does that - thanks me, leaves me a note, tells me how much I have meant to them. 

Let's go a step further - you know what feels best of all?  When my kids say nothing…but I see them take the lessons I've tried to teach them, and put them into practice.  When I see my daughter's grit and refusal to give up her musical dreams in LA, despite the disruption of the pandemic. When I find out my older son has quietly gone out of his way to comfort friends who've gone through a difficult experience.  Or when my youngest son comes to me, deeply troubled because his friend needs help.  I see this in them, and it is difficult to describe the feeling that wells up in me - joy, and gratitude, and pride, that all seek to express themselves in a sob choked back and tears I brush away.  

This must have been something of what Paul felt, who "dealt with each of [the Thessalonians] as a father deals with his own children, encouraging, comforting and urging [then] to live lives worth of God…". How awesome he must have felt when, having had to cut his visit with the church short, Timothy returned with news the church had not lost its way.  He says "we were encouraged about you because of your faith…for now we really live, since you are standing firm with the Lord."

Today's Old Testament reading tells us God gets angry.  I believe that, like Paul, and like me, He too feels joy when He sees us come to Him and thank Him for what He's done, even better put into practice what He hopes we will learn.  

Father, open our eyes to see all You do for us and all You want us to learn, then give us the desire to thank You, then go do as You teach us to, that we might put a smile on Your face.

No comments:

Post a Comment