Friday, February 28, 2020

Thursday, February 27

THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 27, 2020

"Vindicate me, my God,
    and plead my cause
    against an unfaithful nation.
Rescue me from those who are
    deceitful and wicked.
You are God my stronghold.
    Why have you rejected me?
Why must I go about mourning,
    oppressed by the enemy?
Send me your light and your faithful care,
    let them lead me;
let them bring me to your holy mountain,
    to the place where you dwell.
Then I will go to the altar of God,
    to God, my joy and my delight.
I will praise you with the lyre,
    O God, my God.
Why, my soul, are you downcast?
    Why so disturbed within me?
Put your hope in God,
    for I will yet praise him,
    my Savior and my God." (Psalm 43:1-5)


On this day, I participated in a learning seminar at work called "Energy and Time Management."  Instead of focusing on "time management," however, most of the seminar covered "Energy Management."  The company that presented the seminar has performed extensive research into high-performing athletes and professionals and found that we should think of our capacity in energy vs. time terms.

As part of the seminar, the leader explained that we often find ourselves with high, negative bursts of energy, such as frustration, fear, or anger.  He pointed out that our responses in this energy "quadrant" often resemble "fight or flight," geared towards either combating or avoiding immediate danger.  Yet, we rarely make effective decisions in that energy state.

In order to recalibrate, he encouraged the participants to take an inventory and a deep breath.  Being aware of those deeply negative emotions can help us to recenter and refocus.

I mention these details not as an endorsement of these principles; rather, I wish to point out that David gave us this pathway well before performance science considered the topic.  In this Psalm 43 and several others—Psalms 27 and 73 come to mind immediately—the psalmists process their feelings through the reality of God's provision and care.  Instead of self-focused actualization, however, their goal lies in recommitting to and waiting on the Lord God.  Here, as in Psalm 27, we find the psalmist instructing himself:  "Put your hope in God... "

As in the energy seminar, the pathway of return leads through renewal.  Yet, instead of worldly renewal, Biblical renewal comes through recommitting to God's purposes, to submitting our hearts and minds to His sovereign will.

The next time that you face a moment of defeat, would you consider coming back to this Psalm 43 (or 27)?  Instead of remaining in despair or anger or frustration, we can find restoration and renewal by declaring our commitment to our sovereign King.  As an example, we might pray:  "Lord God, I am facing a difficult situation.  My heart and mind are leading me to despair and frustration.  Yet, I know that You are the living God and that You never leave us nor forsake us.  Help me to refocus my attention to the reality of Your presence here.  I put my hope in You alone.  Give me strength by Your Holy Spirit to live in light of Your reality.  I need You every hour!  In Jesus's Name, amen."

Praise Him, the God of all hope and comfort!  We seek Him today.

No comments:

Post a Comment