Thursday, February 13, 2020

Thursday, February 13

THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 13, 2020

"I sought the LORD, and he answered me;
   he delivered me from all my fears.
Those who look to him are radiant;
   their faces are never covered with shame.
This poor man called, and the LORD heard him;
   he saved him out of all his troubles.
The angel of the LORD encamps around those who fear him,
   and he delivers them. 

"Taste and see that the LORD is good;
   blessed is the man who takes refuge in him.
Fear the Lord, you his saints,
   For those who fear him lack nothing." (Psalm 34:4-9)


In this Psalm, David recounts God's faithfulness to him during a period of danger and uncertainty.  The psalm's header noted that he wrote it "when he pretended to be instance before Abimelech, who drove him away, and he left."  The honesty of this header provides yet another example of the Bible's validity.  Its authors even appear as fearful and weak.  Made-up history wouldn't allow for anything but positive "fake news."

Having re-read this passage tonight, it brought great comfort and direction.  I had been wrestling with what looked to be an apparent setback.  I realized during my reading that I hadn't invited the Lord's presence into the situation; rather, I had been viewing it from a worldly point of view.  Without inviting God to the picture, the situation looked just plain frustrating, without any clear solution.  Yet, upon seeing the perspective through this psalm, I recognized that I hadn't been focusing on what God might do through that situation.  In short, I must trust Him to bring about His will and "take refuge in him."  Whatever should happen, He will be present and show His goodness.

Candidly, I wish that I had reacted more consistently with this passage even earlier.  It would have saved me two hours of being upset!

At this point, I am asking:  "God, how would You like to work in this situation?  What would You like me to learn?"  I look forward to His reply as I continue seeking His wisdom and direction.

Have you faced a tough situation recently?  How did you react?  From what sources did you seek comfort or resolution?  How could this passage help to train you to trust God and to invite Him into whatever situation He would have for you?


Lord God, I do wish to taste and see that You are good.  Thank You for directing and guiding us, even in our most frustrating and troubling situations.  Give us wisdom and courage to trust You instead of worrying and giving our thoughts to purely worldly solutions.  Strengthen us to follow You completely in those difficult moments.  In Jesus's Name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment