Saturday, February 29, 2020

February 29: Of Preexisting Conditions


Scripture in Text Below


So I opened the One Year Bible to go through today's reading, and realized they didn't have one for February 29.  What to do blog about, then?  I decided the tabula raza was an opportunity for a bit of a blog about the theme closest to my sinful, unworthy heart: "preexisting conditions."


A preexisting condition is defined as a medical condition that began prior to the person's health insurance went into effect.  Often, it was an exception to coverage; sometimes, it was even reason for refusal of coverage.  


I have a lot of those preexisting conditions in my spiritual life: they're my sins.  And even today I often find myself questioning how my sinfulness might not be sufficient reason for refusal of salvation.  Don't get me wrong - there are some sins that I think fall under coverage.  But there others - the really serious ones, or the ones that keep popping up, despite my best efforts - those are the ones I fear disqualify me from the coverage of salvation.  


Where to go for guidance?  In the insurance world, you go to the policy.  The policy is a contract, a commitment on the part of the insurer in respect of their relationship with us, the insured.  In our faith, we go to God's Word.  Because He cannot lie, His Word is even more binding, even more certain than any earthly contract.  And what do I find?


First, the reassurance that God does not require perfection as a prerequisite for relationship.  Exodus 2:12, 2 Samuel 11:4-6, 14-17 are particularly instructive: God enters into relationship with Moses after he's killed an Egyptian and run away like a coward, and with David after he's committed both abortion and murder.  Also, in Mark 2:15-17, Jesus not only hangs out with sinners like me, He pretty much declares it is very purpose.  


Second, the reassurance that God loves me not despite, but through my sin.  In Matthew 26:31-35 we hear Peter declare not once, but twice, that he will never abandon Jesus.  And yet, as we all know, in verses 69-74, he does so thrice - once more than his declaration of loyalty.  And yet despite all this, in John 21:15-19, Jesus deems Peter worthy not just of His love, but of His trust.  


These are more than sufficient assurance, they are perfect, irreversible assurance from God that, when it comes to His salvation, there is no such thing as a preexisting condition that disqualifies us from the coverage of His Son's blood.  Thank You, God, for such unqualified love.

No comments:

Post a Comment