Thursday, September 12, 2019

Thursday, September 12

THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 12, 2019

"When I am afraid,
I will trust in you.
In God, whose word I praise,
in God It rust; I will not be afraid.
What can mortal man do to me?

"... For you have delivered me from death
and my feet from stumbling
that I might walk before God
in the light of life." (Psalm 56:3-4,11)



David encountered plenty of difficulties en route to becoming Israel's king. This psalm recounts his reaction "when the Philistines had seized him in Gath."

Please take note of David's perspective. He took a realistic assessment of the situation but focused his attention on his true Help: "Be merciful to me, O God, for men hotly pursue me;/ all day long they press their attack." God has given us senses to perceive and collect the reality in front of us. Sometimes in prayer, we echo David's sentiments, simply to lay our situation before our heavenly King.

Even in this dire moment, David keeps himself from despair by remembering God's power to save and His constancy. David reaffirms his praise of God's Word and his trust. From these simple acts of commitment, God grants him freedom from fear: "What can man do to me?"

We may gain from David's approach. He wrestled with his situation, lamented its severity, but ultimately trusted in God. He willed his heart to remember God's trustworthiness. This pattern applies just as well to us.


Lord God, thank You for the example of your servant, David. We thank You for sharing his wrestling with trials of many kinds. We thank You that Your Son indeed faced similar hardships and can indeed sympathize with us in our weakness. We thank You that Your grace is perfected in our moments of frailty. Strengthen us to trust You in the hills and the valleys. Show us specific promises from Your Word so that we may stand firm. In Jesus's mighty Name, amen.



________________________________________________________________________
596 Glenbrook Road, Unit 13 | "Jesus said to her, 'I am the resurrection
Stamford, CT 06906-1423 | and the life. He who believes in me will
(C) 203.820.1741 | live, even though he dies; and whoever
(H) 203.355.9374 | lives and believes in me will never die.
(E) swe@edwa.info | Do you believe this?'" -- John 11:25,26

No comments:

Post a Comment