Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Difficult Stories

April 30, 2019


Judges 11-12, John 1:1-28, Psalms 101:1-8, Proverbs 14:13-14


Who is God? And what is He like? In John Piper's Desiring God curriculum, first graders are taught about the letter S- Sovereign and the letter I- Incomprehensible. We made a big deal that 6 and 7 year olds were learning these words and that there are 16 letters in this covert big word. Judges 11 brings these two words to life about the character of God and to be honest and vulnerable, this is one of my least favorite, shake my head stories in the Bible. I remember reading this story a few years ago and being angry and God. How could He allow this? Accept this? In His omniscience and power, why did he let Jephthah's daughter come out first? A goat, lamb, or cat would have been just fine. Sigh. 


I have reread this story many times through the years and have even reached out to more knowledgeable and wise people to help me process this story. While rereading, I have tried to draw lessons from it and asked God to reveal His love through it. What is the bright side in all this? A man sacrificing his only daughter to win a war? To be accepted by a family and people who shunned Him? An innocent girl dying at the hands of her father for a vow he made? These are hard questions, but these are some of the lessons I have drawn. 


  1. Even though life was hard, Jephthah loves God and was faithful to him. He was the illegitimate son of a prostitute, driven away from his family, no inheritance, and fell into the wrong crowd. Even still, God had a plan for him and used to him to deliver the nation of Israel. 
  2. His daughter also loved God- she followed, obeyed, and remained faithful. When Jephthah explained the vow he made to God, she understood. She didn't argue (that we know of), she didn't walk away, escape, or anything like that. Her heart (as was Jephthah's) was broken and she mourned. There is nothing wrong with her reaction and how she felt. She was maybe more faithful to God's sovereign will than I would have. 
  3. The cross. Scripture will always point to the cross in some way or another. A loving father sacrificing their only child for the salvation of the nation. It's probably the most impossible task I can ever imagine, but it's a love, faith, and trust in the Father God. 


Judges 11 is still a hard story for me to read and accept sometimes because I mourn for the daughter. I don't think it's fair. But I know that God has a mighty plan that goes beyond that chapter and on my tiny window of life. I pray that God gives me faith and trust like these people. 


No comments:

Post a Comment