Tuesday, May 14, 2019

2 Doughnuts

May 14, 2019


I Samuel 15-16, John 8:1-20, Psalms 110, Proverbs 16:8-10


Growing up my family didn't have a lot. We never needed for anything, but we also didn't have many luxuries. My mom stayed at home with my brother and I, and I remember there being right and frugal times (that I'm very thankful for.) I remember being in elementary school and on the way home we begged my mom for a doughnut (a luxury and treat) from Dunkin Doughnuts. She gave Lucas and I $2-$3 to buy ONE doughnut each. We were inside (as she waited in the car) and when we were getting ready to pay, the cashier informed me that we had enough to get 2 doughnuts each! Woo! Score! With out a second thought or doubt, I said YES! We returned to the car and I was very proud of the great deal we just got and we showed my mom our "victory" of the four treats. Her reaction was NOT what I expected. She was mad/frustrated/displeased with my decision. I didn't get it. She repeated to us that she told us just to get 1 doughnut each. I disobeyed... I took things into my own hands and did what I thought was best, and then showed it off to my mom. 


Granted this is a somewhat innocent thing for a 8/9 year old to do. We weren't punished or anything like that, but whenever I pass that Dunkin Doughnuts, I still remember that scene from my childhood. I never understood the problem until much later, and it may not even be why my mom reacted that way. Maybe she didn't want us to have all that sugar, or it was before dinner, or maybe all the above. 


Reading I Samuel 15 brought these memories back to me. Of course the scales are totally different, but what Samuel said to King Saul rang true to my doughnut-loving self. "What is more pleasing to the Lord: your burnt offerings and sacrifices or your obedience to his voice? Listen! Obedience is better than sacrifice, and submission is better than offering the fat of rams."  1 Samuel 15:22 


God calls on us to be obedient. That is all he wants. Saul took matters into his own hands and he totally justified all he did. He was making his kingdom richer, was going to bring great sacrifices to God, and spared a great ruler (much like himself). He thought he was doing well, but was in total disobedience to what God commanded. Samuel's words are like a hot on the head: Obedience is better than sacrifice, or things, acts, the extra stuff we may do. We just need to listen and obey. Saul's actions came with grave consequences- he was rejected as king by God. I don't know what could be worse. Because of Sauls decision to disobey (even if intentions were good,) the course of Israel's history was altered and a new King would soon replace him...David. 


The course of a nation was altered by a couple extra doughnuts being bought, but I will always remember that lesson- my decision, disobedience, and consequences, just knowing I didn't do the right thing. God calls us to obey his commands and trust in His sovereign plan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment