Thursday, December 6, 2018

Thursday, December 6

THURSDAY, DECEMBER 6, 2018


"It has given me great joy to find some of your children walking in the truth, just as the Father commanded us. And now, dear lady, I am not writing you a new command but one we have had from the beginning. I ask that we love one another. And this is love: that we walk in obedience to his commands. As you have heard from the beginning, his command is that you walk in love." (2 John 4-6)


In his Gospel and his three letters, the apostle John highlights the relationship between love and obedience. His words above echo Jesus's teaching from John 14:21: "Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love them and show myself to them."

John ties together our relationship with God and longevity in the truth: our obedience and our love for one another. In loving others and obeying God, we come to know God more deeply and experience His presence more freely. We become more fully alive and more fully satisfied in God, bringing joy to our hearts and praise to our lips.

I particularly appreciated John's phrase, given by the Holy Spirit, that we should "walk in love." This love becomes evident through action, and the "walk" verb suggests a steadiness and ongoing disposition on that love. It suggests taking a righteous and safe path, leading to wisdom and freedom.

Where could you better follow God's commands? How could you love Him and others better?


Lord God, thank You for the truth You shared through the apostle John. Help us to live more faithfully according to this edifying teaching. Give us opportunities to love one another and to walk with You in love. Point out where we may better obey You and therefore demonstrate our love for You. In Jesus's Name, amen.


________________________________________________________________________
596 Glenbrook Road, Unit 13 | "Jesus said to her, 'I am the resurrection
Stamford, CT 06906-1423 | and the life. He who believes in me will
(C) 203.820.1741 | live, even though he dies; and whoever
(H) 203.355.9374 | lives and believes in me will never die.
(E) swe@edwa.info | Do you believe this?'" -- John 11:25,26

No comments:

Post a Comment