Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Dec. 5

Hosea

I was reading this story and while I was intrigued by the details, I was also confused as to why God would tell Hosea to marry a prostitute.  As I dug into the story, I found a deeper meaning behind it.  Perhaps there is a parallel here that we need to consider.  Maybe the picture being drawn by Hosea and Gomer is an illustration of God's relationship to Israel at the time, and maybe even our relationship with God now.  At the time of the writing, the people of Israel were, once again, acting unfaithfully to God.  Perhaps God was trying to illustrate through this marriage that the nation had sunk into sin, turning her back on her "husband", even though He had always been faithful to her.  I also started to think about how Jesus refers to us as His bride (Isaiah 54:5), and even still, we all fall short of the glory of God. (Romans 3:23).  We see again when Hosea buys Gomer out of slavery a mirror of the details of redemption. Jesus paid a price for our souls, but it wasn't the nails that held Him to the cross, it was love. I pray as we go through this Advent season we realign ourselves with our first love, Jesus. I pray that in the wonder of this season the spark reignites into a flame knowing that the King of the Universe loves us with an everlasting, unconditional love that calls us back to Him over and over again, and despite our behavior, He will always love us.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCunuL58odQ

No comments:

Post a Comment