Saturday, December 22, 2018

December 22: Of the Seeming Impossibility of Change


Zechariah 2:1-3:10

Revelationi 13:1-13:18

Psalm 141:1-10

Proverbs 30:18-20


Set a guard over my mouth, Lord;

     keep watch over the door of my lips

Do not let my heart be drawn to what is evil

     so that I take part in wicked deeds

Along with those who are evildoers;

     do not let me eat their delicacies.


Anyone else as frustrated with repetitive sin as I am?  You do something, you realize it is a habitual sin; you resolve never to do it again, and at the very next opportunity, you find yourself right back where you started.   And so you ponder the seeming impossibility of change, you think "this is hopeless".  The psalm partially explains why it is so difficult when it describes the actions of evildoers as "delicacies".  


The psalmist knows an encouraging lesson I have yet to properly take to heart: that I need God to change, and that I can call on Him.  I don't have to try to do it myself, I shouldn't try to do it all by myself, because I can't do it myself, and He is happy to hear and answer my plea.


Father, I confess I am a sinful, slow learner.  Teach me to turn to You, to be transformed in ways according to Your will, in ways I cannot do for myself.  

No comments:

Post a Comment