Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Tuesday September 18th Blog Post

Psalm 62:1 & 5 – "Yes, my soul, find rest in God; my hope comes from him."

 

David writes Psalm 62, where verses 1 and 2 and verses 5 and 6 are the exact same. Verses 1 and 5 really stuck out to me. "Yes, my soul, find rest in God; my hope comes from him." The first part David tells his soul to find rest in God. What a solid reminder to us that while we are living these busy lives that so often cause stress and anxiety because of the amount of work we do, we need to rest. David however doesn't tell his soul to rest while binge watching Netflix, playing video games, or doing some type of worldly resting. Instead he tells his soul to find rest in God. What a peaceful and joyous statement. "Find rest in God", it seems so simple, yet I find that so many times I try to search for my own rest, my own reset button, my own downtime. True rest is found in God, we don't need to search for it, but for some reason I find myself searching for rest all the time.

 

Today, instead of searching for rest, find rest in God. A good friend shared a podcast with me called the Ransomed Hearts Podcast and the specific episode titled Micro Practices (March 5th) really stuck out to me. It's all about how you can use micro practices throughout the day to help you slow down and find rest in God. The one I found extremely helpful is at the end of the day put down everything related to electronics and just sit. Reflect on the day and where you saw God. It doesn't need to be long (hence the name micro practice), maybe only 2 to 3 minutes. I find that when I do that I actually feel like I am finding rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment