Sunday, September 23, 2018

Sep 22: Of Tardy Reflections



Isaiah 39:1-41:16

Ephesians 1:1-23

Psalm 66:1-20

Proverbs 23:25-28


It's difficult not to look around and not feel frustration, even despair.  I grew up in Manila, and I don't know what is worse - what is going on now, or the fact that it has only been 32 years and already the nation seems to have forgotten the painful lessons of the 70s and early 80s.  I live in the US, and where poverty has ravaged the country of my birth, it seems prosperity is threatening to destroy my adopted home, where truth and gender are now subjective, God's existence is rejected, and the practice of one's faith is now reason for pro-, or per-secution under the law.  


I was thinking about this today, and was grateful that I was a day late in my reflection (for which, by the way, I apologize).  My thoughts were enough for frustration; the idea this was the world my children were going to have to navigate was enough to bring me to despair.  


How wonderful, then, that God reminds us across so much of today's (Saturday's) readings.  When we grow weak struggling against the world's influence, we are reminded that "He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak…those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength…they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."  When we are confronted with the reality of the world He reminds us that He is our God, "who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you."  And He reminds us that these troubles have a purpose: "For You, God, tested us…You  brought us into prison and laid burdens on our backs…we went through fire and water, but You brought us to a place of abundance."


I had no stories to tell today; no quotes from the classics, no references to pop culture.  All I had was worry and fear and despair; and God's reassurance and strength.  Father, when I doubt, remind me to take heart, for You have overcome the world.  


No comments:

Post a Comment