Tuesday, September 25, 2018

September 25

September 25
Isaiah 45:11-48:11
Ephesians 3:1-21
Psalm 68:1-18
Proverbs 24:1-4

As I began today's reading, I struggled to focus, feeling overwhelmed by the new responsibilities, challenges and opportunities that this fall held for me. I was forecasting problems for tomorrow and for two years down the road. Psalm 68 verse 19 stopped me in my tracks: "Praise be to the Lord, to God our Savior, who daily bears our burdens." God brought me back into the present moment, reminded me that He would carry me and my burden today and redirected my focus to His character. What a rescue! The descriptions of God in Psalm 68 are so rich and beautiful. We're told our God refreshes His weary inheritance, He gives power and strength to His people, is a father to the fatherless, is majestic and powerful, the list goes on. As I reflected on these things, very appropriately, this worship song started to play...

"I will sing of all you've done, I will remember how far You've carried me, from beginning to the end. You are faithful to the end." 

It occurred to me in that moment, instead of fretting about the future, I could recount God's faithfulness in the past. This morning I chose to reflect on three powerful experiences of God's faithfulness in my life through harrowing seasons and give thanks that the same God who carried me then will bear my burden today. 

Faithful to the End - Paul McClure (maybe a lovely addition to your morning quiet time!)

No comments:

Post a Comment