Sunday, November 26, 2017

November 25: To trust Him, first we must know Him...

Daniel 1:1-2:23
1 Peter 3:8-4:6
Psalm 119:65-80
Proverbs 28:14

1 Peter 3:9, 13-16...

Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult.  On the contrary, repay evil with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing.

Who is going to harm you if you are eager to do good?  But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed.  "Do not fear their threats; do not be frightened."  But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord.  Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have.  But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience...

I was reading Saturday's New Testament reading, and struggled with the first part of it, a call to behave so differently from how the world teaches us to respond.  This isn't the first time I've read this, or heard it, or had it taught to me; my struggle remains the same.  It is so difficult not to repay evil with evil, or insult with insult.

Then I read the second part of the reading, and understood why perhaps I have such difficulty with this teaching.  The second part suggests we should be ready to explain why we have the hope that we do, why we revere the Lord like we do.  Maybe that's the problem - maybe I don't know the Lord well enough to revere Him like I should, to trust Him like the call to action requires. 

Father, take pity on how poorly I know You and Your son.  Give me the desire and the direction to get to know You, that I might rightly put my faith in You, and not in the world's false promises. 


No comments:

Post a Comment