Saturday, January 23, 2016

Saturday, January 23, 2016

Saturday, January 23, 2016
[Matthew 15:16-20 The Message]

"Don't you know that anything that is swallowed works its way through the intestines and is finally defecated? But what comes out of the mouth gets its start in the heart. It's from the heart that we vomit up evil arguments, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, lies, and cussing. That's what pollutes. Eating or not eating certain foods, washing or not washing your hands—that's neither here nor there."

At some point in your life you've said something stupid and/or offensive.  It's okay to admit it - you're in good company.  I made more stupid and offensive comments than I care to admit.  Have you ever said something and, as you were saying it, you wished you could reach out your arms, grab those words, and shove them back down your throat?  Yeah, me too!  But, even if we were able to do that, to delete those words before anyone ever heard them, it wouldn't change our hearts.  The words aren't the culprits.  It's a heart issue.

Jesus was explaining this to His disciples after they had been criticized by some Pharisees and teachers of the law for not washing their hands before eating.  The Pharisees were more concerned with tradition and cleanliness on the outside than they were concerned with the deceit and sin on the inside.  Our words and actions are very often indicative of what is going on in our hearts.  Works of generosity and love are products of a heart that has experienced love.  Hurtful acts and words come from a heart that is hurting.  Why is this so important to Jesus?  Jesus came to deal with the sinful hearts of humanity.  He is not a moralist or a preacher of behavior modification.  He is a really good Gardener.  He knew that if He dealt with our sin issue at its roots (the heart), the fruit would be good.

When I was young and I would say something offensive my parents would reply, "Watch your mouth!"  However, Solomon tells us in Proverbs 4:23 to watch our hearts; to take inventory on a regular basis so that our hearts would be a wellspring of life rather than death.  How do we do this?  I don't have all the answers, but I do have a few suggestions.
  1. Do a heart check using SASHET (S-cared, A-ngry, S-ad, H-appy, E-xcited, T-ender): which emotions are you feeling and WHY?
  2. Before you speak, hit reply, text, post or act, ask God, "Lord, please help me to understand my heart." (Psalm 139:1-4; Acts 15:8)
  3. LISTEN.  God may give you a Scripture, an impression in your heart, a picture, a song, etc.
  4. Talk to someone who will pray for you and with you about what you received from the Lord.
Father, search me, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

No comments:

Post a Comment