Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Jan. 20

Matthew 13
 
I often wonder why Jesus spoke in parables. The message He had to deliver was so important.   I was wrestling with why, aside from fulfilling scriptures, wouldn't He just come out and say what He meant to say.  Then, as I was thinking about it, I remembered what it was like growing up listening to my grandparents and relatives speak in Yiddish. They would have entire conversations and laugh among themselves and I longed to understand what they were saying.  When I would ask my grandmother to "teach me", her answer would be "just listen".  I spent quite some time "just listening" and was quite shocked that I began to learn and understand what everyone was talking about.  I think Jesus wanted the disciples to do the same, and as disciples, we must follow suit. He wanted them to listen, He wants us to listen.  Not just with our ears but with our hearts and minds open and willing to learn. The learning that took place was beyond the scripture.  It's the desire and the longing to understand that stretched the disciples to seek God and see Him revealed in their lives.  Just as my grandmother would explain the context of her conversations to me after I listened, Jesus explained the context of His parables to His disciples as they were ready to discern His words.  "He who has ears, let him hear." (v. 43)  The treasure won't be handed to us, it will be revealed as we listen.  I pray we all take time today to hear and discern what God has to say.
 
 
 
 
Randi

No comments:

Post a Comment