Friday, January 15, 2016

Saturday, January 16, 2016

Saturday, January 16, 2016
[Matthew 11:28-30]

Rest.  In our culture, and particularly in the Northeast, rest is one of the most elusive states of being ever sought after.  When I'm out shopping and I ask salespeople and cashiers how they are doing they almost always respond saying, "I'm tired" or "Busy" or "I'm overwhelmed."  In my own life, I can say that I am very familiar with the feeling of being overwhelmed.  We exist in a busy, fast-paced, over-the-top, "I'm-a-get-mine" world and the busy-ness only seems to be increasing!  Between work, play-dates, soccer games, church, school plays, and my own laundry list of problems, WHEN am I ever supposed to find time to REST?

"Come to me."  
Jesus tells His disciples quite clearly that rest is not always something that you need to find time to do - it's a way of life.  He says, "Come to me...and I will give you rest."  Rest is not something that we DO; rest is rather something that we RECEIVE.

"Take my yoke upon you and learn from me."
What we receive is not necessarily a "holy nap, in Jesus' Name."  What we receive is a way of living that centers on Jesus and His ways of doing everything.  It's hard to imagine sometimes that Jesus has a plan for EVERYTHING that we do and a way that He wants us to do it.  He promised that the Holy Spirit would "teach us all things" (John 14:26).  I checked the Greek for the word "all" in that verse.  It means "all" in English, too!  Now, just because the Holy Spirit is helping us, guiding us, and teaching us doesn't mean that it'll be easy; but, it will be worth it. 

"Jesus doesn't offer a life of luxurious ease - the yoke is still an oxen's tool for working hard.  But, it's a shared yoke, with weight falling on bigger shoulders than yours.  Someone with more pulling power is up front helping.  Suddenly you are participating in life's responsibilities with a great Partner."   (excerpted from NIV Life Application Study Bible. Tyndale House, 2005)

Father, in our overwhelmingly busy reality we sorely need your true rest.  Jesus, thank you for inviting us into it, to receive this amazing gift.  In your power, Holy Spirit, please grant us the humility and the courage to RSVP, come to you and learn what you've been itching to teach us.  All for your glory!  In Jesus' Name...Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment