Monday, January 11, 2016

January 11: Of sleeping in boats (the remix)

Genesis 24:52-26:16
Matthew 8:18-34
Psalm 10:1-15
Proverbs 3:7-8

I've written about this episode in our Lord's life before.  And I wish I could say I've learned what He was trying to teach me the first time I reflected on it, some 2 or 3 years ago I think.  

You see, what struck me about this story wasn't that Jesus calmed the storm, or that He admonished His doubting disciples - what struck me was the example of faith we are called to have.  You see, our Lord was asleep.  He was so confident the storm posed no danger, He was so peaceful, He was asleep.

I realized when I went on vacation the last week of 2015 just how stressful the year had been when it took 5 nights of holiday before I was actually able to fall asleep before midnight and not wake up at either 3 or 4 in the morning.  I was stressed, I was worried, and I certainly wasn't manifesting the faith our Lord demonstrated.

Here's the crazy thing - the stress and worry did nothing.  They didn't make my job easier, they didn't guarantee the results I wanted...they didn't even assure me that the results I wanted were the right results.  All they guaranteed was that I was exhausted at the end of the year.  

Lord, I don't know how we get there, other than via prayer and scripture.  In any case, please teach us to do what You did.  Let us get to know You and our Father so well that, even when the storms come, we can sleep in the boat knowing we are in Your care.

No comments:

Post a Comment