Thursday, July 9, 2015

Thursday, July 9

THURSDAY, JULY 9, 2015

1 Chronicles 7:1–8:40

Acts 27:1–20

Psalm 7:1–17

Proverbs 18:22

 

 

“Lord my God, I take refuge in you;

    save and deliver me from all who pursue me,

or they will tear me apart like a lion

    and rip me to pieces with no one to rescue me..” (Psalm 7:1,2)

 

 

David’s cries for God’s sovereign protection in the midst of attack from his foes.  While we might view “taking refuge” as an act of weakness, real-life experience shows that “finding rest” in God involves an active trust, an application of faith.  We will our hearts to follow the truth of Proverbs 3:5,6:

 

“Trust in the Lord with all your heart

    and lean not on your own understanding;

in all your ways submit to him,

    and he will make your paths straight.”

 

 

In David’s case, there remain uncertainty about the outcome.  In light of this uncertainty, we might grow impatient or even come to doubt God’s goodness.  We might reason that, given our first-hand knowledge of the situation, we might be able to suggest or even demand a certain result.  Instead of this prideful attitude, however, we must take David’s example to rest in God’s sovereignty and believe His promise that He will work everything out for our good, defined as bringing us into Christlikeness and a deeper knowledge of Him.

 

Malachi 3:17–19 provides us with a hopeful attitude that overcomes even tough circumstances:

 

“Though the fig tree does not bud

    and there are no grapes on the vines,

though the olive crop fails

    and the fields produce no food,

though there are no sheep in the pen

    and no cattle in the stalls,

yet I will rejoice in the Lord,

    I will be joyful in God my Savior.

The Sovereign Lord is my strength;

    he makes my feet like the feet of a deer,

    he enables me to tread on the heights.”

 

 

Lord God, we trust in You to fight for us in the daily battles we face.  We sincerely desire to know You better and to receive a greater revelation of Your goodness and mercy.  Strengthen our hearts for the challenges we face.  Build into us a deep and enduring trust.  We love You and worship You today, our God and King!  In Jesus’s Name, amen.

 


________________________________________
1) Blog:                  http://bit.ly/rV1Cw1

2) Facebook:        http://on.fb.me/tc6jkS

No comments:

Post a Comment