Tuesday, July 14, 2015

July 13: A relationship with God vs the opinion of others

1 Chronicles 15:1-16:36
Romans 1:18-32
Psalm 10:1-15
Proverbs 19:6-7

Perhaps David didn't see Michal's reaction to his dancing so it was no skin off his back. If he had, would it have bothered him? Would it have made him think twice about his dancing in celebration before the Lord? I don't know the answer to that, but I do know that I have let other people's opinions affect my relationship with God, and the expression of it - many, many times. I've been embarrassed to speak about God, to live my life in a way that, in no uncertain terms, makes clear the relationship I have with him.

Perhaps it is difficult because I do not know Him, nor do I know what He has done. Reading further in today's OT passage, David touches on much of what God has done for the people of Israel. And in the knowledge and recognition of what He has done, David recognizes and knows God, and the strength of his relationship gives him the courage in the face of worldly opinion - no, better still, the abandonment of worldly opinion, to celebrate God. David knew the Truth of God's existence and dominion.

How different from those described in the NT passage today, who are not guilty merely of ignorance, but of the suppression and rejection of what is freely available to be known. And yet how frustrating sometimes for those who seek God to see how those who willfully reject Him prosper. I imagine there were times David felt the same way - say when Saul was pursuing him, or when his own son overthrew him. Yet because David sought God, he did not feel the need to take matters into his own hands, as when he could have killed Saul. Instead, I like to think he prayed the way the psalmist did - "arise, Lord, lift up Your hand...break the arm of the wicked man, call the evildoer to account for his wickedness".

Father, either You are Lord of all, or not at all. We believe the former. Give us so strong a relationship with You that the world matters not, premised on the truth of who You are.

No comments:

Post a Comment