Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Tuesday, February 24, 2015
Leviticus 15:1-16:28
Mark 7:1-23
Psalm 40:11-17
Proverbs 10:13-14
I guess I am not one for remembering rules and regulations. I am quite sure that if I lived back in the times mentioned in Leviticus I would certainly be confused by cleanliness. The Lord gave very specific instructions to Moses for the Israelites about proper body care and time periods for return to cleanliness. These instructions were not to be taken lightly.

I really prefer reading the gospels where Jesus points out that nothing outside a man can make him unclean by going into him. Rather, it is what comes out of a man that makes him unclean. For it doesn't go into his heart but into his stomach, and then out of his body. It is what we say and do that makes us "unclean" because these actions, words and emotions come from the heart.

Jesus also criticized the teachers of the law and called them hypocrites as it is written: "these people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. They worship me in vain; their teachings are but rules taught by men."

There is a song by Casting Crowns titled "All You Ever Wanted Was My Heart". If we keep God at the center of ourselves - which would be our heart - then how can we not bring forth anything but good. With Christ in our hearts, there would be much less room for the ways of man and the world that would make us unclean and unpleasing to God. When we pray, the Lord wants our petitions from deep within our hearts where the Spirit should be instilled. Our lips should give glory to the Lord through the feelings in our hearts with sincerity. After all, God knows everything about us. He can see into our very core and there is no fooling Him.

Psalm 40:17 - "Yet I am poor and needy; may the Lord think of me. You are my help and my deliverer; O my God, do not delay". This is my prayer for today and all future days. From the center of my heart Lord, you know that I am needy. My strength and hope is in You alone, whether I utter it out loud or think it in my mind - it is coming straight from the heart that You created. A heart that I give to You!

No comments:

Post a Comment