Saturday, February 21, 2015

Saturday, February 21, 2015

Saturday, February 21, 2015 [by Keesha Sullivan]

Mark 5

     Even though it was about ten years ago, I still clearly remembering thinking that I was going to pass this project with flying colors. I knew that the Lord had brought me into the teaching vocation, and I believed that He would help me to get a good grade/report.  I opened my email and it clearly said that I had “failed”. I kept reading and re-reading the message. As the truth began to sink in, my heart sped up and tears threatened to come. I quickly walked out of my classroom. I wanted to talk with someone. I had a few close friends that were also colleagues.

      I saw one of my friends walking down the corridor humming and smiling. I grabbed his arm and pulled him into another classroom. I told him the news I just received. The tears that had threatened to come started streaming down my face. Of course, he didn’t know what to do except give me a hug. After he hugged me, he said, “Keesha, remember your faith. Remember your belief in your God. He will take care of you.” The tears stopped rather abruptly. My mouth hung agape as I internalized what my friend was saying.  

     I knew that the Lord was speaking through him. My friend did not believe in God, and he definitely did not have the faith that he was encouraging me to remember. In fact, this was the first time he even mentioned the word “God.” I thanked him profusely and walked back to my classroom. On the way, I began to think about the many times that the Lord had gotten me through difficult circumstances. My fear began to slowly dissipate. 

     In our reading today, Jairus had a similar incident happen to him. Although Jairus’s experience was much more serious, God had a similar word for him. Jairus pleaded with the Lord earnestly and said, ‘”My little daughter is dying. Please come and put your hands on her so that she will be healed and live.’ So Jesus went with him” (Mark 5:23-24). Jairus was excited! He believed that Jesus was going to heal his daughter and that she was going to live. Yet, his world was turned upside down when “some men came from [his] house ... ‘Your daughter is dead,’ they said, ‘Why bother the teacher anymore?’” (Mark 5:35). Within just a few moments, the belief and hope that Jairus had carried was crushed. 

     Before Jairus was engulfed in total despair, “ignoring what they said, Jesus told [Jairus], ‘Don’t be afraid; just believe” (Mark 5:36). Sometimes this is the only word we need - believe…remember Who I Am. “Great is our Lord and mighty in power; his understanding has no limit” (Psalm 147:5).

     Lord, as we go through difficult circumstances, please help us to stand on Your promises. Help us to remember to believe in our all powerful God. Please increase our faith, Oh Lord, in Your will and Your way. Even when the news is bleak, please help us to keep our eyes focused on You. There is nothing too difficult for You. We thank You that "what is impossible for people is possible with God" (Luke 18:27). In Jesus’ name. Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment