Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Tuesday - February 17, 2015
Leviticus 4:1-5:19
Mark 2:13-3:6
Psalm 36:1-12
Proverbs 10:1-2

Getting through the Bible in one year is something that I have always wanted to do.  Of course, I really believe that I should make this an annual event because there is just so much to read and learn in the Bible that one cannot possibly comprehend it in one reading.

With just beginning to read and concentrate, I am amazed at how many sacrifices the Lord demanded in the Old Testament.  Between the sprinkling of the blood on the altar and pouring out the blood of these animals at the base of the altar - did it just burn off or was there somebody who was in charge of the clean up.  But not just anybody was allowed to touch the burnt offerings or they would become unclean.  To become unclean would mean another offering.  It went on and on and these animals were brought to the altar without defect and slaughtered and cleaned with more specific instructions because that would make them pleasing to the Lord.  When we die to ourselves and our wants and needs, perhaps this is what makes us more pleasing to the Lord. 

Then when we switch to the New Testament reading from Mark 2:11-3:6 we find that Jesus is searching for the unclean, the unhealthy, the sinners.  Such good news for all of us today, because Jesus is looking for us.  We can run, we might try to hide, but He will find us.  It is at that point when we surrender and let Him into our lives that the Spirit rushes in to claim us as a member in God's army.  When the Pharisees saw Jesus eating with sinners and tax collectors - he replied to them "Mark 2:17 - It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick.  I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners."  I thank God that I was sick, but through the death and Resurrection of Jesus Christ, I am healthy and redeemed.

Yesterday I spent time reading the several days that came before mine.  It was peaceful and I asked the Lord to speak to me.  I don't believe I heard him yesterday, but the final verse in today's reading hurt me because it is so true.  Proverbs 10:1-2 - A wise son brings joy to his father, but a foolish son grief to his mother.  Ill-gotten treasures are of no value, but righteousness delivers from death.  I continue to pray for my children and the children of my church community - children everywhere that they may all come to know of the greatness of God and also become heirs to the throne.  I pray that all of our children, young or old, can come to know the peace of the Lord and thereby let their parents have peace as well through their salvation!!!  AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment