Monday, September 29, 2014

September 29: We have met the enemy, and he is us...

Isaiah 57:14-59:21
Philippians 1:1-26
Psalm 71:1-24
Proverbs 24:9-10

In you, Lord, I have taken refuge;
   let me never be put to shame.
In your righteousness, rescue and deliver me;
   turn your ear to me and save me.
Be my rock of refuge,
   to which I can always go;
give the command to save me,
   for you are my rock and my fortress.

Sometimes our biggest battles are with ourselves, and the sinful habits we've developed which, try as we might, we can never seem to overcome completely.  At times we think we have vanquished them for good, and then they come back.  

That happens to me a lot - typically when I've neglected my prayer time.   Then the day goes quickly pear shaped, and I find myself full of angry discontent and resentful thought, a starting point for sinful word and deed.  

That's why I was drawn to the reading above, from Psalm 71.  I used to read it as one seeking refuge and help against an external enemy.  Tonight, I see it differently, as I realized that the biggest obstacle to my salvation is, in fact, my very own self.  

The quote "we have met the enemy, and he is us" was written for a cartoon published on the first Earth Day by Walt Kelly, and spoken by a character looking to clean up the Okefenokee swamp and realizing that people like himself were the cause of the pollution.  Pogo may have realized who the enemy was, but the author of the words on which Kelly's quote was based understood the situation far better.  In 1813, Commodore Oliver Perry was heard to say "we have met the enemy, and he is ours!", signifying the victory he anticipated - victory over our sins which, by God's grace, we can anticipate and obtain as well.

Thank God for His grace, which saves us even when we are at our most undeserving.

No comments:

Post a Comment