Saturday, September 6, 2014

Blog Saturday 9/6/14

Saturday, September 6, 2014 

All night long on my bed
    I looked for the one my heart loves;
    I looked for him but did not find him.
I will get up now and go about the city,
    through its streets and squares;
I will search for the one my heart loves.
    So I looked for him but did not find him.
The watchmen found me
    as they made their rounds in the city.
    "Have you seen the one my heart loves?"
Scarcely had I passed them
    when I found the one my heart loves.
I held him and would not let him go
    till I had brought him to my mother's house,
    to the room of the one who conceived me. (Song of Songs 3:1-4)


Today's reading had me imagine times when I've woken up to a half-empty bed. After being married for even a short  six years, it feels weird to wake up and no one is there. There have been times when this has happened to me and I was startled thinking, "What happened to my wife? Where is she?" In these moments, I have gone from room to room to find her, not stopping until I satisfied my search. I thought about this today and asked myself, "Do I search for Jesus this way?  When I'm confused or feel disconnected, do I look for Him and search relentlessly for My Savior?"

Feeling disconnected from the Lord can be nerve-racking. I often wonder what God is trying to teach me in those moments. Is He "hiding" on purpose? Am I missing something? But, what I see in this passage is the Beloved so desirous of her Lover that she will stop at nothing to find Him.  From her bed to the city streets, to the watchmen, she is on a mission - she NEEDS Him!

13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. (Jeremiah 29:13)

Jesus is worthy of "all your heart" effort. Songs is calling us higher in our love for God, our passion for His Presence, our commitment to the relationship, and our time spent in intimacy.  We will have times of disconnection, times when we feel like the bed is half-empty.  Father, help us not to be half-hearted in seeking you.  Help us to search for you with all our heart.

---------
Kenny Sullivan
soli Deo gloria


No comments:

Post a Comment