Monday, September 1, 2014

September 1: I love a happy ending...

Job 40:1-42:17
2 Corinthians 5:11-21
Psalm 45:1-17
Proverbs 22:14

Who doesn't love a happy ending?  From our youth, we celebrated Pinocchio becoming a real boy, Prince Charming defeating Maleficent and saving Briar Rose, Luke Skywalker blowing up the Death Star.  Last night, Carla and I saw the movie "Heaven is for Real" (highly recommended - and what a blessing hearing how God moved in Todd and Colton Burpo's lives) - and that had a happy ending (not spoiling it for anyone - read the book or watch the movie!).  

Today, we had another.  Long story - leaving church yesterday, my car key battery was out, which meant I had to unlatch the physical key and unlock my door manually.  I put my iPad down on the roof of the car...and promptly forgot about it.  I drove off and, needless to say, it wasn't there when I got home.  I drove back to church hoping I'd spot it, but it was nowhere to be found. 

Where was the happy ending?  I was exhausted and fell asleep yesterday afternoon, and while I slept, my family prayed, and asked God to give it back.  I woke up to an email from Apple tech support reporting it had been found, with the finder's email address.  After a couple of text messages, phone calls and a 40 mile drive to Brooklyn, I had it back, in working condition (wow!).  And I was grateful and happy.

I don't think my happy ending in any way compares with Job's.  Let's think about this for a second: Job's lost his family, his wealth, and the friends who choose to hang out with him insist it's all his fault.  Then he effectively starts calling out God, asking for an explanation...and God Himself responds.  If there was ever a bigger "bad to worse moment", I cannot think of one.  After all, Job didn't know that God had permitted everything to happen to him as part of His perfect plans.  The good news is that God gives Job his happy ending as well - God restores his fortunes, and given him more sons and daughters.  "And so Job died, an old man and full of years."  Great, right?

I want to go back to "Heaven is for Real" for a moment - with a bit of a spoiler alert.  As wonderful as it was getting my iPad back; as magnificent as it was for Job to have his fortunes restored, the happy ending little Colton Burpo tells makes it clear that, with God, however difficult, painful or unbearable our circumstances might be today, our ultimate happy ending is indescribable. If, like me, you love a happy ending, how wonderful for us we have this to look forward to...


No comments:

Post a Comment