Monday, September 22, 2014

September 22: Open my eyes...

Isaiah 39:1-41:16
Ephesians 1:1-23
Psalm 66:1-20
Proverbs 23:25-28

Reading through today's OT and NT readings, and today's psalm, I could not help but be struck at all the reasons we are given to be joyful.  The reading from Isaiah describes a powerful, almighty God who has chosen - CHOSEN! - us...

"But you, Israel my servant, Jacob, whom I have chosen...
   I took you from the ends of the earth...I have chosen you and have not rejected you."

...and who tells us what He will do for us:

"I will strengthen you and help you;
   I will uphold you with my righteous hand."

...that He will defend us:

"All who rage against you will surely be ashamed and disgraced;
   Those who oppose you will be as nothing and perish.
...Those who wage war against you will be as nothing as all.   
 For I am the Lord your God who takes hold of your right hand
   and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you."

And He doesn't just remind us of this once today...in the NT reading we read yet again of 

"the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms...For He chose us in Him...in love He predestined us for adoption to sonship through Jesus Christ.

...and then again:

"In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will"...

So what we have is a God, an all powerful and almighty God, who has chosen us, who loves and protects us, and who works everything out according to His will - a will guided by His love for us.   So why is it I struggle to do things by my own feeble strength, guided by my ignorant mind?  I think it is because I have not taken the psalmist's advice: I should "come and see what God has done, his awesome deeds for mankind!"  I think that if I opened my mind up to recognize His presence, through prayer and the reading of His word, then I would better come to know the God described above...and would then be able to praise Him for "he has preserved our lives and kept our feet from slipping...you tested us but you brought us to a place of abundance."

Help me please, to spend the time in prayer needed to open my eyes and see Your goodness and greatness.


No comments:

Post a Comment