Saturday, June 21, 2014

Saturday BlogPost (6/21) by Keesha Sullivan

Saturday, June 14, 2014 [by Keesha Sullivan]


On Tuesday evening, I celebrated the promotion of my eighth grade students. Although I was incredibly excited for my students, a deep sadness came over me as the chorus sang a song that made me long to tell them the truth. The song's lyrics spoke about wanting to matter in this world and to be special. It spoke about working really hard to be different and to stick out, so that they mattered.

            The truth is that my students matter more than they could ever fathom, and they are incredibly special. In our reading today, David talks about how God made each of us unique. It is written in Psalm 139:13-16:


13 For you created my inmost being;
    you knit me together in my mother's womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    your works are wonderful,
    I know that full well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you
    when I was made in the secret place,
    when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
16 Your eyes saw my unformed body;
    all the days ordained for me were written in your book
    before one of them came to be."


            God intentionally designed each one of us for a special purpose. As the gospel singer J Moss says in his lyrics, "Nobody is a nobody, because God doesn't make mistakes." Each of us was fearfully and wonderfully made by the ultimate Artist. God made each one of us to carry out His specific will for our lives. Nobody can replace anybody else. In fact, according to our DNA, we are different from everyone alive now and everyone who has ever lived.

            I believe that David knew his worth. He knew that God had plans to prosper him and that every day of his life was written in God's book before they even came into being. Even though some of David's own sons tried to kill him and acted like he didn't matter, David mattered to God. We ALL do.

            Lord thank You so much for creating us in Your image. Thank You for uniquely designing each person in their mother's womb for a special purpose. Thank You that we are special and that we matter to You. We love You Lord, and we thank You for the privileges of being daughters and sons of the Most High God!


--
"The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace" (Numbers 6:24-26)
Kenny Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment