Monday, June 23, 2014

June 23: Praying for elephants...repeatedly

2 Kings 4:18-5:27
Acts 15:1-35
Psalm 141:1-10
Proverbs 17:23

This past week it seems so much has happened in our church that has needed prayer to God, for help, for healing and other requests.  Trouble, illness and difficulty seem to have been such a recurring theme.  When faced with such unrelenting need, I used to think I asked too much of God, that it wasn't my place to ask, that instead I should await what He wants to give me.  And then yesterday we heard our pastor's wife talk about being confident enough in our relationship with God to "pray for elephants", citing the story of a child who wanted an elephant for a birthday present; and today, we read about all these people who seem to bombard God, through Elisha, with various requests - for food, for healing, even for resurrection - a prayer for an elephant, if I ever saw one.  And God, through Elisha, answers every single one of those prayers.  Then we read in today's psalm "I call to you Lord, come quickly to me; hear me when I call to you."  And I went back to the massive Father's Day Card my daughter gave me, covered with verses reminding me we can turn to God in times of trouble.  And then I remember, I realize all over again - we can always, should always call on God; we can always, should always pray for elephants.

He wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment