Thursday, June 12, 2014

I Kings 8, Acts 7:51-8:13, Psalm 129, Proverbs 17:1

Wednesday June 11, 2014
I Kings 8, Acts 7:51-8:13, Psalm 129, Proverbs 17:1
 
I can think of pivotal moments in my life where my faith has been challenged, exploded and defined.  These turning point moments were usually based on events that shaped who I was: my camp counselor tragically dying when I was in sixth grade, the night before I went to Spain on a missions trip, 9/11, experiencing my church split in 2002, etc.  There is one even that specifically stands out and it was the week that followed April 20, 1999.  I was 15 and finishing up my freshman year at Rio Rancho High School.  Up to that point in my life, I had never really been worried for my safety, and didn't' know the ugliness that could happen to people my age in suburbia USA.  The shooting at Columbine High School shattered that sense of security and I asked my 15-year-old self if I too, could be a martyr?  That week my school was flooded with bomb threats, herding 3000 students to the football stadium for safety, and the stories of faith were the headlines on the news following the shooting.  This event opened my interest in the stories of those who had died for their faith or because of their faith in history.  Reading about the early church is the beginning of those who died for the name of Jesus and Acts 7 is the story if Stephen.
 
                 As we have been studying the book of Acts, we know that the early church was based on community.  They were truly brothers and sisters who (as Scott has preached) ate together, prayed together, and showed love to one another.  They shared the life of Jesus and faith began to explode across the lands.  In Acts 6:5, we see the first mention of Stephen.  He was hand picked by the 12 disciples as being "Of good reputation, full of the Holy Spirit and wisdom…a man full of faith and the Holy Spirit." (Acts 6:3, 5)  Through Stephen and the others disciples were multiplied in the city of Jerusalem, and the word of Jesus Christ began to spread, enraging the Pharisees.  Stephen was arrested on charges of blasphemy, and was still described as "full of faith and power, [doing] great wonders and signs among the people, (Acts 6:8) and "all who sat in the council, looking steadfastly at him, saw his face as the face of an angel." (Acts 6:15)  This is what radical faith looks like to me.  Stephen was so consumed by the Gospel, that he was on fire…shining on all who saw him.  This was not a super power, but he lived according the word and Spirit.  I can only imagine that he had a relationship with God that I can only hope for.   His purpose was to love God, love people, and make disciples.  Sounds familiar, right?  He was stoned to death by an angry mob, and the Pharisees allowed it.  The irony in the story is that we see the first mention of Saul of Tarsus, later to be known as Paul, The Apostle, who was somewhat behind the death of Stephen.      
 
            We know the story of Stephen as being "the first martyr," but the points I want to share are those that maybe missed.  Stephen ran the race and he finished it well.  He went against what society said was right and had a radical faith that did not shake when presented with death.  His story is not about his death, it is about the life he lived.  He loved God and shared it with others.  He lived in community with fellow believers and dedicated his life to this ministry.  My favorite part and verse in the story is moments before his death.  Acts 7:55-56, "But he, being full of the Holy Spirit, gazed into heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at he right hand of God… Look!  The Son of Man standing at the right hand of God!"  When I welcome someone into my home, I stand and greet them.  It is a way of showing love, warmth, and welcoming.  The moments before Stephen entered the presence of God, Jesus was there standing, welcoming him home.  This is so amazing and awesome to me that I sit here typing, coffee at my side, in tears.  This image moves my heart to emotions and thoughts of "Well done my faithful servant."  Jesus's last prayer on Earth was that of forgiveness for his persecutors, as was Stephen.  He prayed for those who killed and hated him, he "feel asleep" and went home. 
 
I know this is a longer blog, but I have so much to say.  I used to wonder if I would one day be faced with death because of my faith.  I used to focus on that and imagine it.  I do have a crazy morbid mind, but moments in my life messed with me.  As I sit now, I learn that it's not about the death.  It's about the life.  It's about running the race in obedience, perseverance, and with a radical faith.  I pray that one day when I die, whenever and however that may be, Jesus will also be standing to welcome me.  He will say, "Well done my faithful servant."  But I also know it's not an instant thing.  I pray that my heart and my life will be filled with the Spirit that it over flows.  I pray that I would give up control that God can use me in mighty ways.  I pray.     

No comments:

Post a Comment