Saturday, January 25, 2014

Saturday BlogPost (01/25/14)

Saturday, January 25, 2014 [by Keesha Sullivan]

 

"But Joseph said to them, 'Don't be afraid. Am I in the place of God? You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives" (Genesis 50:19-20).

 

Through Joseph's words, we know that he trusted God. He wasn't angry about the past, because he knew who had ultimate control over his destiny.  Joseph knew that God had allowed his brothers to sell him into slavery for a greater purpose. In Jeremiah 29:11 it says, "'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" In spite of Joseph's brothers planning to harm him, God had plans to prosper him and to bless his future.

 

As Joseph M. Scriven wrote, "O what peace we often forfeit, O what needless pain we bear, All because we do not carry everything to God in prayer." If we just prayed and trusted fully in God's plans, we would live in His perfect peace. Even when the storms of life come, if we trusted that God had ultimate control, we would have no fear or anxiety.

 

I remember living in NJ in February of 2010 and hearing the rumor of a significant layoff coming down the pike. I was slightly alarmed, so I began looking for jobs. Kenny and I both worked for the Teaneck Board of Education as teachers. Neither of us was tenured which meant that there was a good chance we both could get laid off. As I looked for jobs, I did not see any openings. As April rolled around, the rumor became truth. Announcements were made so that non-tenured teachers would begin preparing themselves for what was imminent. I continued to look for jobs and still there were no openings. At the end of April Kenny was laid off. Fear came knocking at the door of my heart boldly. Next anxiety came. I began sending off resumes to jobs that did not have any openings in hope of finding something.

 

Kenny saw the fear consuming me and said, "Let's pray!" We prayed and cried out to God. We asked for Him to open up a position and to show us His plan. I am not exaggerating when I tell you that the next day that I looked for a job I saw three openings. I applied and within one week I had an interview. The same day of the interview I was hired. God had plans to prosper me and not to harm me. He brought us to the place that He wanted us to be. Although a layoff is supposed to harm individuals and leave them jobless, God blesses us and gives us a future. In Romans 8:28 it says, "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to His purpose."

 

We can praise God and live in His holy peace because He is a God of the past, the present, and the future. "How abundant are the good things that [God has] stored up for those who fear [Him], that [He bestows] in the sight of all, on those who take refuge in [Him]" (Psalm 31:19).

 

Lord, we just want to thank you right now that You are God. We thank You that You have plans to prosper us and not to harm us. We thank You that You work all things together for good for those that love You. Please help us Lord to put all of her trust and hope in You. Help us to pray in our times of need, so that we can live a life that is void of fear and anxiety. We love you Jesus, and we thank You that You hear our Prayers. Amen


--
"The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace" (Numbers 6:24-26)
Kenny Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment