Tuesday, January 28, 2014

January 28

Exodus 5:22-7:23
Matthew 18:21-19:12
Psalm 23
Proverbs 5:22, 23

In Matthew 18, Jesus is telling us something very important about forgiveness. Through this story of the unforgiving servant, we learn that there should be no limit to the forgiveness that we show others, because there is no limit to the forgiveness that God shows us. The only appropriate response to God's unending grace is to show that same grace to one another. 

Proverbs 5:22 is a perfect warning to go along with this parable. "An evil man is held captive by his own sins; they are ropes that catch and hold him." The unforgiving servant was thrown in prison because he refused to do what was right. If we do the same thing and refuse to forgive others just as God forgave us, then we will not free from our sin. We will be held captive by it.

I know this is not easy. Our tendency is to feel like we're letting someone get away with a crime if we forgive them. But that is not our concern and it is not our place to withhold forgiveness. Our concern is to obey God and allow Him to be the judge. Years ago I was angry at one of my best friends and I refused to speak to her for four years. I refused to let go and forgive. And what did I gain by doing that? Nothing. I lost four years with my friend while becoming more hard-hearted and bitter. Thankfully, it was not too late for us. I realized I was more concerned with being "right" than with doing what was right and she forgave me.

If there is someone in your life that you are struggling to forgive, ask God to help you. Focus on the ways in which He has shown you grace. Ask Him to give you the grace and the strength to forgive. There is nothing more powerful than forgiveness. A few weeks ago, Scott said that forgiveness is a dragon slayer. It can change the bitterest hardest heart into something beautiful.


No comments:

Post a Comment