Saturday, November 30, 2013

November 30: Yes, it IS that easy

Daniel 7:1-28
1 John 1:1-10
Psalm 119:153-176
Proverbs 28:23-24

Every time I've read this passage in Daniel, I've indulged in a bit of speculation about the identities of the various kingdoms. I cannot claim to know what Daniel's vision might have been about, but I am struck by how the prevailing belief gradually sweeping the world is about the primacy and supremacy of man.  Man, human rights, the desires of the individual - these have become the rallying cry, the catalyst for change, the reason for transformation.  The human race has overthrown governments in the pursuit of self interest.  It has changed social mores and redefined what is acceptable, even what is ideal, based on what we deem is, in our own judgement, in our best interests.  And amidst that transition, we rarely hear people asking what God might think; we rarely see people even acknowledge God, choosing instead the convenience of a Sunday deity, confined within the hour and the four walls we call "church", or an entity always and ever so ready to approve of what we choose to do, however much it might run afoul of His own words.

The funny thing about reading the Bible the we have this last year, however, is how it has changed the questions I pose after reading this part of Daniel.  I find it is no longer important to know who or what, specifically, each of the kingdoms might be, or who that most powerful horn with the human eyes and mouth might be.  What I find myself asking is, how have I allowed myself to be crushed underfoot by the final beast? Have I succumbed to the other king when he tries to "change the set times and the laws"?  The answer, sadly, is yes, and every day.  So what a relief it is to read in the NT reading today that "If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.  If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness."

If you are like me, there are persistent sins in your life; sins which, when they recur, are particularly discouraging.  I am just so relieved to be able to cry out to Him and do nothing more than confess my shortcomings.  I am just so relieved to be able to say "Look on my suffering and deliver me...defend my cause and redeem me; preserve my life according to your promise. "  I expect to have to do so every day until I die, and am grateful He will listen each time I do.  Amazing, but yes - it IS that easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment