Saturday, November 16, 2013

Wednesday's blog

Ezekiel 27-28, Hebrews 11:17-31, Psalm 111:1-10, Proverbs 27: 15,16

I have been waiting all year to write about Hebrews 11. It's one of my favorite chapters in the entire Bible. I'm thankful that Apryl wrote about it on Tuesday, because when I read the entire reading on Wednesday, my heart was drawn to Proverbs 27:15-16. It was actually a funny moment in our house cause I was listening to the NLT audio while getting ready and Divan was grabbing something from the room. Of course he walked in at this passage and the translation goes, "A quarrelsome wife is as annoying as constant dripping on a rainy day. Stopping her complaints is like trying to stop the wind or trying to hold something with greased hands."(Proverbs 27:15, 16 NLT) He just started cracking up, looked at me, and said, "You know a man wrote this!" Lol. It's so true though! Solomon is know for the hundreds of wives he had. So imagine the flooding that happened everyday!!!

Divan and I ways have the debate if I am complaining or not. I like to call it "communicating" or "whining" which sounds cuter. I reason with myself that it's ok to complain to Divan about whatever because he is my husband and he has to listen. Also if I don't share my complaints (about whatever) he won't know what I'm feeling (blah blah blah). I think this is partially true, but I was also convicted in some ways. I read an article this week by Billy Graham's grandson talking about marriage and how we are to give our partner 100% of ourselves. How we are not to keep a tally of wrongs of our partner (I Cor 13) and the meaning of One-way love; the kind of love Christ shows us. Just like this Proverb said, the complaints of a wife (or husband for that matter) is rough and is game for a grudge or wrong.

I try to remind myself to live like Philippians 2:14-15, "Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without a fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe." Not only can complaints be destructive in a marriage, but in all relationships: professional, family, and friends. It goes beyond that and out speech is a testimony to a life that follows Christ...being a child of God. By our work with lack of complaint, we will be set apart from out generation who rejects God.

No comments:

Post a Comment