Monday, November 11, 2013

Monday Blog Post (11/11/13)

 

Monday, November 10, 2013 [Getting His Attention]

Psalm 109

 

I remember going to a birthday party for one of my wife's high school friends and talking to different people in the crowd.  You know that point in a conversation with someone that you just met when they ask you, "So, what do you do for a living?"  I always get the same response when I tell people what I do.  It's always a little embarrassing for most people because just before they heard my answer they were getting really comfortable using all of the creative four-letter-words in their vocabulary.  Well, this happened several times at this birthday party.  As the conversations continued I would hear things like, "I haven't been in a church since I was five.  After all of the stuff I've done I'd probably melt a church if I walked through the doors."  It has amazed me how many people feel this way.  There is this lie that says you have to be a "good" person before you can go to church, before Jesus will pay any attention to you.  But, that's not what we see in the Scriptures.  Check this out:

 

"Rescue me because you are so faithful and good.  For, I am poor and needy, and my heart is full of pain." (Psalm 109:21-22)

 

What stuck out to me in Psalm 109 (NLT) today was this phrase in verses 22 "poor and needy."  How poor is a king?  What could David possibly be in need of?  He wasn't lacking material resources – He was acknowledging his deep need for God because of his low spiritual resources.  And, David didn't come to God on the basis of his own "good"-ness.  He came to God for help acknowledging that it is God who is faithful and good.  This is what gets God's attention – brokenness, the reality of our deep need for Him.

 

"The high and lofty one who lives in eternity, the Holy One, says this: "I live in the high and holy place with those whose spirits are contrite and humble.  I restore the crushed spirit of the humble and revive the courage of those with repentant hearts." (Is. 57:15)

 

What gets God's attention is when I admit…

…that I am a mess that only God can clean up

…that I've gone so far away that I can't find my way back on my own

…that I need more than what I have the power to provide; etc, etc.

 

Is there some obstacle that is keeping you from admitting our deep need for God in your situation? 

How do verses 22 and 31 empower you to overcome that obstacle?


GIVE US YOUR FEEDBACK ON OUR FACEBOOK PAGE AT:

--
"The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace" (Numbers 6:24-26)
Kenny Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment