Monday, December 2, 2013

Monday Blogpost - 12/2/2013

Monday, December 2, 2013 [by Keesha Sullivan]

 

Even though Daniel was told by God on three different occasions, "…for you are highly esteemed," he prayed the prayers of a man that realized his sin and his insignificance in comparison to our holy and awesome God. Daniel took responsibility for his sins as well as the sins of his fellow brothers and sisters. When he prayed to the Lord and confessed, He looked at two things: their unworthiness and God's greatness.

He says in Daniel 9:5, "…we have sinned and done wrong. We have been wicked and have rebelled; we have turned away from your commands and laws." He saw what the nation of Israel was doing and Daniel was grieved. He felt not only his own shame, but the shame of his people. He didn't judge the people around him, but rather in humility he prayed to God to forgive their sins as a people. He identified the specific sins that they had committed before God. He says in Daniel 9:6, "We have not listened to your servants the prophets, who spoke in your name to our kings, our princes and our fathers, and to all the people of the land."

Daniel realized that God would forgive them because of His magnificent characteristics, not because of their merit.  "The Lord our God is merciful and forgiving even though we have rebelled against him." Since God is merciful, forgiving, and the same yesterday, today, and forevermore, Daniel knew he could hope for forgiveness and for God to have mercy on Israel in exile. In fact, he says in Daniel 9:18-19, "…We do not make requests of you because we are righteous, but because of your great mercy. O Lord, listen! O Lord forgive! O Lord hear and act! For your sake O my God, do not delay because your city and your people bear your name."

I feel like all too often I don't take the opportunity to pray for our nation. Instead of taking the burden of my sins, as well as my brothers and sisters, and pleading for forgiveness, I just ignore it. I'm realizing that if I truly had even a little understanding of the extent of God's holiness I would be on my knees all the time. My aim is to learn from Daniel how to pray and humble myself in the eyes of the Lord. We are so unworthy of God's mercy, yet we still receive it simply because mercy is in God's character.  Probably the greatest example of mercy I can think of is the Cross of Jesus Christ (1 Tim. 1:12-15).

Thank you Lord for being merciful and loving us in spite of our wicked ways. Please forgive us Lord for turning away from your commands and laws. Forgive us too for rebelling against your ways and choosing our own paths. Forgive us for putting ourselves and our comfort above You. Please help us to live in obedience to Your word. Please turn away your anger and your wrath from America. In Jesus' name, we pray Amen.

 

------------------

I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for everyone, 2 for kings and all who are in high positions, so that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and dignity. (1 Tim. 1:1-2)

 

12 I am grateful to Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because he judged me faithful and appointed me to his service, 13 even though I was formerly a blasphemer, a persecutor, and a man of violence. But I received mercy because I had acted ignorantly in unbelief, 14 and the grace of our Lord overflowed for me with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. 15 The saying is sure and worthy of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the foremost.

(1 Timothy 1:12-15)


--
"The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace" (Numbers 6:24-26)
Kenny Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment