Thursday, September 19, 2013

Thursday, September 19

THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 19, 2013

Isaiah 30:12–33:12

Galatians 5:1–12

Psalm 63:1–11

Proverbs 23:22

 

 

“It is for freedom that Christ has set us free.  Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.”  (Galatians 5:1)

 

In this passage, Paul wrestles further with the fallacious addition that the Judaizers had attempted to include within the Galatian church.  Reasoning that the Mosaic law prescribed circumcision, these Judaizers wished to bring Old Testament customs to the church.  By their direction, however, the Judiazers had declared the in­sufficiency of the basic Gospel, indicating that Jesus Himself had not brought complete salvation.  In short, the Judaizers believed that the work of mankind would complement and bring fulfillment to the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

 

Paul reacts strongly against this misdirection, however, recognizing that this error would cause significant problems.  Indeed, the church fathers frequently faced threats to the Gospel, either through addition or subtraction.  Spiritual warfare, as with physical warfare, often involves distortion and deception.  Knowing that the Gospel itself carries the hope of glory, the evil one wishes to mangle or confuse the Truth in favor of the Gospel plus or the Gospel minus.

 

As a counter, Paul urges the Galatian believers to welcome and embrace their freedom in Christ alone, by Christ alone, through Christ alone:  “But by faith we eagerly await through the Spirit for which we hope.  For in Christ neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value.  The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.” (vv. 5,6)  Paul explains that God will bring His righteousness into the believers’ lives through the indwelling Holy Spirit.  Their hope lies in the certainty of God’s ability to complete this work, guaranteed through the character of God as demonstrated in Christ:  “… Being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 1:6)

 

Our hearts long to cling to outward signs or badges that we may wear through our performance.  Instead, we stand empty before our heavenly King, humble and expectant only because of His goodness, not ours.  This nakedness stirs our hearts to worship and thanksgiving.  How amazing that He has loved us and chosen us as His own!

 

 

“You, God, are my God,

    earnestly I seek you;

I thirst for you,

    my soul thirsts for you,

in a dry and parched land

    where there is no water.

I have seen you in the sanctuary

    and beheld your power and your glory.

Because your love is better than life,

    my lips will glorify you.

I will praise you as long as I live,

    and in your name I will lift up my hands.

My soul will be fully satisfied as with the richest of foods;

    with singing lips my mouth will praise you.

On my bed I remember you;

    I think of you through the watches of the night.

Because you are my help,

    I sing in the shadow of your wings.

I cling to you;

    your right hand upholds me.

Those who want to kill me will be destroyed;

    they will go down to the depths of the earth.

They will be given over to the sword

    and become food for jackals.

But the king will rejoice in God;

    all who swear by God will glory in him,

    while the mouths of liars will be silenced.”

(Psalm 63)

 

Amen.  Please notice David’s heartbeat:  his eager pursuit of His King – at all hours of the days, in every place.  His trust in finding everything in God rings triumphant:  “My soul will be fully satisfied as with the richest of foods…  I cling to you;/ your right hand upholds me.”

 

These words echo the truths of a beautiful song that I have been greatly enjoying this week:  “None But Jesus” by Hillsong United (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B63VGWMuYY).  These songs that declare the uniqueness and glory of the Lord Jesus Christ stir peace and worship within me.  They remind me of His sovereignty and true worthiness to receive honor, praise, and glory.  He is indeed the only King.

 

Lord Jesus, we praise You that You are more than enough.  You are everything that we should ever desire, and Your glory and goodness are unfathomably extravagant.  Take us into the Holy Place, where we may see You in all Your glory.  Bring us near to Your heart; change us from the inside out that we may place You first in all things.  Change our sights and senses to trust You and lift You above every other name in heaven and earth.  In Your Name, we pray.  Amen.


________________________________________
1) Blog:                  http://bit.ly/rV1Cw1

2) Facebook:        http://on.fb.me/tc6jkS

No comments:

Post a Comment