Monday, September 9, 2013

Monday BogPost (9/9/13)

Monday, September 9, 2013 [Discipline/Restoration]

Isaiah 4:2-6
2 But in that day, the Branch of the Lord will be beautiful and glorious; the fruit of the land will be the pride and glory of all who survive in Israel.3 All who remain in Zion will be a holy people—those who survive the destruction of Jerusalem and are recorded among the living.4 The Lord will wash the filth from beautiful Zion and cleanse Jerusalem of its bloodstains with the hot breath of fiery judgment.5 Then the Lord will provide shade for Mount Zion and all who assemble there.  He will provide a canopy of cloud during the day and smoke and flaming fire at night, covering the glorious land.6 It will be a shelter from daytime heat and a hiding place from storms and rain.

As a child, my dad disciplined me.  I was never beaten or abused.  I simply received the standard issued spanking that was a kind of textbook discipline for my parents.  The one thing that would bother me about getting a spanking was how my dad treated me afterwards.  Dad was never angry or out of control.  He was even-tempered and would take me into his arms telling me that he loved me.  After introducing me to the pain of his correction he restored me with his love.  It was one of the most confusing moments I could ever imagine.  My hindquarters felt like they were on fire, but he loved me?  He would go on to tell me why what I did was wrong and how if he didn't help me to learn that it was wrong early in life it would cause me much more pain later–maybe even my own demise.
Yesterday we started to read about the "spanking" that God has planned for Israel and Judah because they have gone outside of the boundaries of the Lord's expectations.  Everyone was looking out for #1 – there was no justice for the widow, the fatherless, or the foreigner (Is. 1:16-17).  This was not the way that God's family was supposed to live and God was determined to correct it (1:25-26, see below).
Using this imagery of metalworking and smelting, the Lord says that He will remove all of the "impurities" from Israel – all of the evil and hard-heartedness.  One of the reasons why people began using metal tools was because of the strength and durability of the material.  Things made with metal were built to last.  Yet, if the metal were teeming with impurities it would lose its durability, become brittle, and be more likely to break under strain as it is being used.  So how are the impurities removed?  Fire.  The metal is heated to extremely high temperatures, melted, and finally the impurities are skimmed off.  God was going to "melt" Israel down.  But He also promised to restore her.  The Branch of the Lord, Messiah Jesus, was coming!  The Lord promised to "wash the filth from beautiful Zion" (4:4) and to provide protection, guidance, and His Presence (4:5-6).  This would come through the life-giving sacrifice of Jesus.  It is His blood that washes us, His Spirit that guides us, and His Presence that covers us.
This is not a metaphor for every painful life situation, but some definitely fall into this category.  There are times when we experience God's discipline because what we are doing is going out of bounds with God.  Yet, the discipline that God is calling us to endure is to bring us to a place of strength, durability, and holiness (Hebrews 12:5-11, see below).  God disciplines us because of His great love for us.  And, the end of that discipline is restoration.
What, then, should our response be? "Yes, Lord."
---------------------Isaiah 1:25-2625 I will turn my hand against you; I will thoroughly purge away your dross and remove all your impurities26 I will restore your leaders as in days of old, your rulers as at the beginning.  Afterward you will be called the City of Righteousness, the Faithful City."
Hebrews 12:5-6, 10-115 "My son, do not make light of the Lord's discipline, and do not lose heart when he rebukes you,6 because the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and he chastens everyone he accepts as his son."10  God disciplines us for our good, in order that we may share in his holiness.11 No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.




-- 
"The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace" (Numbers 6:24-26)
Kenny Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment